Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Doctor shmocter...

I love my doctor. She is down to earth, unpretentious, and funny.
But I try my best never to see her.
I have an aversion to going to the doctor. I'm afraid that she will laugh at me and tell me I'm being a big baby. That there is really nothing wrong with me and that I need to stop being so paranoid. And then I'll be embarrassed.
So, I wait. And wait. And wait.
I sprained my ankle a couple years ago and waited four days to go to the doctor. I figured it might just clear itself up. But the pain got progressively worse, so I finally called and was sent to the ER. The x-ray tech treated me like I was an idiot for waiting so long to get it checked out. Bone chip, torn ligaments, whatever. I could have toughed it out.
Before that I had some pretty bad back pain for a few days. It was to the point that I didn't want to move at all, I just sat in bed and tried to breath very carefully. I finally caved and called the doctor. This trip revealed a severe double kidney infection that clears up quickly with antibiotics but could lead to kidney failure (and possible death, so says my doctor) if left untreated. I literally got yelled at by a nurse for not coming in sooner. Oops.
So, my fear of embarrassment causes me to not go to the doctor, but then I end up embarrassed anyway because apparently I have no common sense.
Today, here I sit in contemplation. The pain in my ear is what I imagine a scream to feel like if one could feel a scream. My head is so full of mucus that I can barely open my eyes. My throat either burns as if I've swallowed a hot coal or is completely numb after using that oral anesthetic spray- which just makes me drool all over myself since I can't feel anything.
Do I call the doctor?
Nah. I'm certain a cup of hot ginger tea will clear all this right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment